Motor insurance is one of the most common types of insurance bought in the UK and most of us will have experience of this through insuring our personal vehicles. Motor Insurance is a legal requirement in the UK, under the Road Traffic Act 1988, if you own a vehicle.

This type of insurance can cover a range of vehicles, including Private Cars, Commercial Vehicles, Motor Fleets, Minibus, Trucks, Special Types (Tractors, Fork Lift Trucks, etc) and Trade Plates.

As a commercial insurance broker, we arrange motor insurance for fleets of vehicles, or individual commercial vehicles, for organisations such as businesses, charities and schools.
This type of cover provides you with a promise to cover the costs of any  claims relating to:
● Liability to third parties following an accident
● Loss of, or damage to, the vehicle as a result of specified perils

Before approaching an insurer or broker you should consider the following:

  • Type of Cover – generally cover options are Third Party Only, Third Party Fire & Theft or Comprehensive. As the names suggest they provide different levels of cover ranging from liability only, to full cover for any damage to your own vehicle.
  • Driving Restrictions – insurers will offer cover for different types of drivers, ranging from Insured only to drive, to any driver.  You can also decide on the age of drivers allowed to use the vehicles – you can choose no age restriction, drivers over 21, 25 or 30.

As your commercial insurance broker we will need to collect quite a lot of information about your vehicle(s) and their use. Usually we will go through a list of system-generated questions. We will need sight of your Proof of Bonus/No Claims Discount for individual vehicles or 3 years Confirmed Claims Experience for fleets of vehicles. Your current or previous insurers will be able to provide this for you.

We are always pleased to talk to businesses and charities about their motor insurance needs, so please do get in touch if you think we can help.  For more information about how to buy insurance you can download our buyers’ guide.