What’s the deal?

From the 1st of January 2021 onwards, anyone driving a UK-registered vehicle abroad will need a Green Card to drive in the EU, countries in the European Economic Area (EEA), Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Switzerland.

What’s a Green Card?

A Green Card is an insurance document that’s recognised internationally to prove minimum level of cover in countries that are part of the Green Card system. (Minimum level of cover provides cover for any third-party property damage, and your own personal injury). However, be aware that it doesn’t count as evidence of your full insurance cover and doesn’t necessarily match the full insurance cover you have in the UK.

How do you get one?

You must specifically request a Green Card, they are not automatically with your normal vehicle insurance policy. Just contact your broker or insurer directly to request one, they are usually free! Be aware, if you drive your vehicle abroad without a Green Card, you could be breaking the law. Contact insurers 6 weeks before travelling to ensure you have enough time to have a Green Card.

Be aware

Separate Green Cards are needed for trailers and camper vans. If you own the car, you need to carry your V5C document with you in the car as proof of ownership in the foreign country. If the vehicle is hired or leased, then ensure that you have a VE103 form showing permission to take it out the UK.

Talbot Jones Ltd are a commercial insurance brokers based in the North East, but operating nationwide in the Not for Profit and Small Business (SME) sectors. For further information about Green Cards and Brexit, why not drop us a line at info@talbotjones.co.uk to find out more.