Impact of Brexit on the EHIC card:

Following the Brexit announcements on Christmas Eve 2020, the Government have advised that there will be a replacement for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for British travellers to receive healthcare abroad. This card is called the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

What does the EHIC / GHIC card cover you for?

Your EHIC / GHIC card will cover you for emergency or necessary state medical care abroad, including unexpected issues arising from pregnancy. However, your EHIC / GHIC card is not a replacement for travel insurance, and therefore will not cover you for repatriation. Therefore, we suggest that you consider purchasing appropriate Travel Insurance in addition before travelling. You can give us a call on 0191 917 0330 or e-mail us on: to discuss your Business or Group Travel Insurance needs.

Is my current EHIC card still valid?

From the 1st of January 2021, both cards are accepted in all EU countries except for Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. Your existing EHIC will continue to be valid until its expiry date, and if yours has run out, or you’ve never had one, you can apply for a new GHIC card here. Additionally, if your card is lost or stolen abroad you are still able to access medical treatment abroad, you will just need to apply for a ‘Provisional Replacement Certificate’ (PRC) by calling Overseas Healthcare Services at the NHS Business Services Authority on weekdays on +44 (0)191 218 1999.

Talbot Jones Ltd are a commercial insurance brokers based in the North East, but operating nationwide in the Not for Profit and Small Business (SME) sectors. For further information about Travel Insurance, why not drop us a line at to find out more.