Job title: Account Handler (fixed-term 12-month role, initially)
Organisation: Talbot Jones Ltd/March Insurance Services
Hours of work: 35 Hours per week – 9am – 5pm – Monday to Friday (Part-time considered)
Location: Gateshead, Kendal or Llandudno with scope for home working
Salary: £18,000-£23,000 based on experience
Purpose of the role
The right candidate for this role is a people-centric person, retaining renewal business through outstanding client service, developing positive insurer relationships and providing proactive administrative support. Through their technical expertise, the Account Handler will work to clearly understand the clients’ requirements and work collaboratively with the rest of the team to tailor the right insurance programme for their needs. This is a developmental role with scope to take on more responsibility and client management.
Knowledge & experience
- 5 or more GCSEs (or equivalent) including Maths and English (degree preferred)
- Insurance-related professional qualification desirable
- Previous experience desirable
- A basic understanding of the insurance market, products and establishing client requirements desirable
- Working knowledge of Acturis is desirable
The role holder will:
- have the ability to build and develop strong relationships with colleagues, insurers and clients
- be able to quickly establish a clear understanding of the client by analysing relevant data
- have the ability to support the growth of the business in line with Talbot Jones Ltd’s business objectives
- have the ability to influence with strong negotiation skills
- have a clean driving licence (preferred)
- have experience with renewing commercial insurance policies across multiple classes of insurance for a range of businesses/sectors (desirable)
- be proficient in Microsoft Office packages
- have worked to achieve targets within a regulated, measurable framework and achieved SLA’s (desirable).
The role holder will:
- act in a professional manner at all times whilst maintaining confidentiality
- work with the Talbot Jones Ltd team, the client and the insurer to ensure any issues are resolved promptly
- possess the ability to work well under pressure and to meet competing deadlines
- have a flexible approach and the ability to work as part of a small, busy team
- seek to understand and satisfy the different requirements of clients, insurers and the Talbot Jones Ltd team
- understand and implement Talbot Jones Ltd internal policies
- be expected to apply Talbot Jones Ltd core values of Community, Excellence & Integrity to all duties and interactions, both internal and external
Accountabilities / responsibilities
The role holder will:
- on occasion be expected to travel outside of core hours whilst adhering to Talbot Jones Ltd Expenses Policy
- will proactively resolve enquiries and problems as they arise and maintain a positive relationship with clients, colleagues and insurers
- actively seek feedback from clients and insurers whilst responding to feedback received
- identify, seek to mitigate and respond appropriately to any conflicts of interest which may arise
- will work closely with the Finance Manager on any financial queries or errors in a prompt manner
- will comply at all times with the requirements of Talbot Jones Ltd’s procedures, FCA regulations, and other relevant legislation
- be asked to produce key reports for the management team
- undertake all other duties / projects as reasonably required and directed
- deal with new business, renewals, mid-term adjustments and general enquiries
- proactively engage with continuing professional development opportunities, supported by the leadership team
Terms & conditions of employment
The role holder will take responsibility for upholding and complying with Talbot Jones Ltd’s policies.
Hours of work
35 hours per week, to be worked as follows:
Monday to Friday 9.00am – 5.00pm (less a one-hour lunch break each day)
A flexible approach to work will be required as there may be occasions when it would be necessary for you to work additional hours as dictated by the workload.
Part-time role holders would be considered.
22 days per annum (pro-rata during the commencement and cessation years) plus bank holidays and birthday.
Talbot Jones Ltd operates a pension scheme for staff
A six-month probationary period applies to all posts.
Talbot Jones Ltd. is a chartered insurance brokerage specialist in supporting Third Sector organisation and small businesses to better understand and manage their risks. Our success in integrating our core values of Community, Excellence and Integrity contributed to the Chartered Insurance Institute’s Building Public Trust in Insurance Award 2021, with the company also being shortlisted in the Great British Entrepreneur Awards for small business and family business of the year categories.